Hudsonian Godwits

  • richhubie
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 30, 2009
      Sun Aug 30, 2009--Just some more information on the Godwits. Matthew was kind enough to give me a call and stayed with the birds until I got there. When I first saw them they were at the far south end of Virgin Creek Beach and could be seen from the bluff overlooking the beach. They then flew north and were refound near the end of the Virgin Creek Beach. A Century 21 sign could be seen from the beach. Keeping a respectful distance and advising people and dogs to avoid them, Jerry White was able to see them. Matthew and I left at about 1:30 PM and Jerry stayed until Barbara Dolan and Geoff Heinecken arrived.

      Richard Hubacek
      Little River
    • richhubie
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 31, 2009
        Mon Aug 31, 2009--Today Becky Bowen sent me an email that she spotted a Hudsonian Godwit with a Marbled Godwit on Ten Mile Beach. It was located North of Ward Ave. near the Snowy Plover fencing. This is probably the same bird reported yesterday by Paul Hawk which means it spent the night. The time was 10:00 AM when spotted. She also had 17 Snowy Plovers.

        Richard Hubacek for Becky Bowen
      • helen.k@comcast.net
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 1, 2009
          Bill Doyle and I saw three Hudsonian Godwits at 9 this morning at the north end of Virgin Creek Beach,

          MacKerricher State Park, first on the sand and around 9.30, flying north over the rocks at the end of the Beach.

          Thanks to Bob Keiffer for telling us exactly where he last saw them.  There was also a juvenile Red Knot on the

          rocks with a couple Surfbirds in the same area.

          Helen Kochenderfer

          Santa Rosa