FW: Costa's Hummingbird on Sanford Ranch Road, Ukiah

  • George Chaniot
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 15, 2009
      ----------
      From: Cherie Foster <cherstuff@...>
      Date: Sat, 15 Aug 2009 15:31:43 -0700
      To: <chaniot@...>
      Subject: Costa's Hummingbird on Sanford Ranch Road, Ukiah

      For the past few weeks my husband and I have been marveling at and truly
      enjoying the little male Costa's Hummer that visits our feeders many times a
      day. Yesterday I casually asked Matthew Matthiesen how common these are in
      this area and learned, much to my chagrin, that we have been sitting on an
      exciting little secret! Matt came over and saw our little friend both last
      night and this morning, and confirmed his identity. I am trying to recall
      when we first saw him and know that it has been since July 20th and perhaps
      a few days before that. I watch for him each morning, starting at first
      light, and am always thrilled to find him still here.

      We have seen a Costa's in our yard in late August, for about 2 weeks each
      time, the two previous summers as well. It will be interesting to see if he
      tries to winter over with our Annas or starts a new Costa's trend and has
      actually been moving between Ukiah and warmer winter climes.

      If someone does not have this bird on their list and wishes to try to catch
      a glimpse, they may call us at 707-462-3339 to find a mutual time to drop
      by. His pattern seems to be to stop in once an hour or hour and a half. He
      is able to ignore all the fuss around him and really chow down for a spell
      then stays away for up to 2 hours. His longest visits seem to be between
      6:15 and 7:00 a.m. and just before dark. Unfortunately, that means he is
      here when the light for photos is truly awful on our deck! We are also
      blessed this week with a couple dozen Rufous Hummingbirds passing through,
      which seems to have become this groups twice a year routine. The Hooded
      Orioles that visited the feeder all summer have not been seen now for just
      over a week.

      Cherie Foster