Continuing Ukiah Sewage Treatment Plant (MEN Co) Solitary Sandpiper, Semipalmated Sandpiper

  • Matt Brady
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 11, 2009
      Hi Birders. This afternoon Maggie MacPherson and I visited the Ukiah Sewage Treatment Plant, to look for some Shorebirds. In the North Pond, we were able to refind the SOLITARY SANDPIPER, as well as a juvenile SEMIPALMATED SANDPIPER. I'm not sure if the SemiSand was a continuing bird or a new bird, but singles (of unspecified age) were reported on the 5th of August and 9th of August, so it could be the same bird. I was able to snap some good photos of the Solitary Sandpiper, and some tolerable photos of the Semipalmated Sandpiper, which I will hopefully be able to upload soon.

      Other birds included quite a few LEAST SANDPIPERS, lesser numbers of WESTERN SANDPIPERS (all juvs, as far as I could tell), two GREATER YELLOWLEGS, one SHORT-BILLED DOWITCHER, one SEMIPALMATED PLOVER, and a juvenile SNOWY EGRET. One brood of six or so baby RUDDY DUCKS was nice to see. Two or three YELLOW WARBLERS in the oak trees along the western side of the ponds were migrants, I suppose. I guess that's it. Good birding,

      Matt Brady
      Potter Valley, MEN