Franklin's Gull - Ten Mile Beach

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 11, 2009
      Tue, 11 August 2009 -- At 9-am, I found an adult FRANKLIN'S GULL
      on Ten Mile beach, 1/4 mile north of Inglenook Ck mouth. Mid-morning,
      Richard Hubacek called to tell Jim that he saw the gull and took a
      couple of photos.  The bird flew north towards Ten Mile River mouth.

      I quickly completed my SOS survey, which included a BAIRD'S
      SANDPIPER, fos MARBLED GODWIT, and eleven SNOWY PLOVERS,
      so I could drive over to Ukiah.

      At 12:30-pm, I saw the SOLITARY SANDPIPER at the Ukiah STP.  It
      was still in the SW corner of the north pond.  It is in fresh plumage, a
      cool brown with light tan speckling on the edges of the almost all wing
      feathers.   It has been many years since I have seen a SOSA, and
      this one is lovely.

      Now, I am going to scope the north end of Ten Mile beach, to see if
      I can relocate the Franklin's Gull.  Jim said he might walk down to
      Inglenook Ck tomorrow morning.  If it can be refound, I will post
      again.

      Karen Havlena
      Ten Mile area
      North of Fort Bragg, CA