Virgin Creek

  • fred.andrews47
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 11, 2009
      At Virgin Creek

      August 11 - 11:30 am. Overcast skies.

      Canada Geese
      Mallards
      Brewers Blackbirds
      (1) Great Egret
      (1) Black Phoebe
      Killdeer
      Western Sandpipers
      (1) Willet
      (6) Whimbrels
      Western Gulls
      Heerman's Gulls
      Turkey Vultures

      Offshore Rocks:

      Pelagic Cormorants

      Fred Andrews
    • birdmanofthewoods3
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 23, 2012
        Nice sunny day for a trip to Virgin Creek along the Fort Bragg haulroad. Saw a male GREEN-WINGED TEAL which was not totally right (see photo posting link below), but still plenty beautiful. Not quite in breeding plumage? Also a male NORTHERN PINTAIL with two females, RUDDY DUCK, SURF SCOTTER, etc. etc. Good duck day on Virgin Creek.

        Also seen our accidental YELLOW-HEADED BLACKBIRD who persists at Virgin Creek and now has a harem of two female BREWERS BLACKBIRDS. I'm looking forward to some xanthocephalus x cyanocephalus hybrids come this spring. A long shot since they are seperate genuses I know, but then we would have a semi-yellowed-headed blackbird.

      • featherbirdlady3
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 19, 2016
          This afternoon: five Marbled Godwits, at least three Willets, a single
          Whimbrel, several Heerman's Gulls, a Mew Gull, a single Least Sandpiper
          (?) not sure and cannot remember my password to get onto the group page. I
          am sure someone on Facebook will tell me :)

          Feather (Lisa)
        • ramsman@sbcglobal.net
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 19, 2016
            Hi,

            To correct my post from yesterday.  I did NOT observe the Baird's Sandpiper. Upon further review it was a Least Sandpiper.

            Sorry. Dave Barry
            Santa Rosa