Vaux's Swifts

  • katemarianchild
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 9, 2009
      I think I saw two Vaux's Swifts flying at dusk above Redwood Valley (Black Bart Trail) this evening.

      I also saw a Sanderling at Lake Mendocino last Sunday, August 2. Sorry for the late report.

      Kate
    • Vishnu Vishnu
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 14, 2012
        Friday Sept. 14, 2012
        Hello Mendobirders,

        For anyone interested in visiting the Rio Lindo Adventist Academy in
        Healdsburg to view the chimney-roosting Vaux's Swifts, I would suggest that
        this weekend would be an excellent time to go. Janet King and I drove down
        from Ukiah this evening and, along with upwards of 200 other interested
        people, watched an unknown, but umpteen, number of swifts descend into the
        chimney for a full 25 minutes. When we arrived at 7:00 pm there were
        perhaps more people on the ground than birds in the air but that situation
        rapidly changed as the sky filled with swirling swifts. At 7:25 the first
        swifts started entering the chimney and that ingress continued unabated
        until 7:50 when the final bird was seen to enter.

        For further information including statistics on this year's roosting swifts
        you can visit an Academy website at:

        http://www.riolindo.org/article/367/news/vaux-s-swifts-at-rio-lindo

        While Rio Lindo Adventist Academy is not particularly difficult to locate,
        if you have never visited before, it would probably behoove you to print
        out some Google map directions or utilize whatever device or stratagem most
        consistently leads you to your destinations.

        Enjoy,
        Vishnu

        PS - Thank you for your hospitality Rio Lindo Adventist Academy !!