Calm ocean birds (and a blue whale)

  • Ron LeValley
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 7, 2009
      Hi all,

      This morning I scoped the ocean from Little River Headlands for a while. It
      was very calm. I did see what I was pretty sure was a Cook's Petrel. At
      first I thought it was a Manx Shearwater because it was small, flying close
      to the water, white-bellied and had a procellarid flight pattern. After
      watching it as it flew by, I became convinced that I was looking at a
      Pterodroma instead of a shearwater, because of the bouncy flight. I am
      familiar with Manx Shearwaters and their close to the water flight, and even
      though there was no wind, this bird was still bouncy. At one point I thought
      I saw a hint of a 'W' pattern on the back as it banked. It was too far away
      to get anything really convincing, but this weekend might be a good time to
      scope the ocean..

      Not much else was about, I saw one Rhinoceros Auklet, only one juvenal
      Common Murre (with its dad) and a few Pigeon Guillemots already started on
      their way north.

      Oh, and a Blue Whale..thanks for sending it north Richard..

      Ron

      Ron LeValley Photography
      P.O. Box 332

      Little River CA 95456

      707/937-1742

      Mendocino Coast Photographer Guild and Gallery
      301 North Main Street
      Fort Bragg California USA 95437
      Cell: 707/496-3326
      Gallery: 707/964-4706

      <mailto:Ron@...> Ron@...

      For a free natural history Picture of the Day in your e-mail, go to
      <http://www.levalleyphoto.com/gallery/omw.php>
      http://www.levalleyphoto.com/gallery/omw.php

      For archives of past Picture of the Days, go to
      <http://www.levallyphoto.com/gallery> www.levallyphoto.com/gallery