OWL at Pt Reyes?

  • kw
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 19, 2009
      I know this isn't Mendo County related but we thought you might help us with
      an ID. We were birding at the old RCA site at Pt Reyes around noon today in
      a bunch of cypress trees when we saw several owls fly by. We continued
      trying to get views of them for about an hour but never were able to get the
      scope on them. I got them in my binoculars once in a tree and could
      definitely see it was an owl, about the size of a barn owl, no noticeable
      ears, pale underside with a few black spots or streaks. Feathery wings and
      very pale when flying. Any idea? Oh and tuffy on the top of the head. We
      wondered if this could have been an juvenile great horned. Thanks!

      Karin Wandrei, PhD, LCSW
      Consulting for the 21st Century
      www.pacificsites.com/~kwandrei/
      707-272-4074