Amer Redstart Still at Ft Bragg Botanical Gardens

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 19, 2009
      Sun, 19 July 2009 -- George & Janet Chaniot and I went to Fort Bragg's Mendocino
      Coast Botanical Gardens, arriving about 9:10-am just before Toby Tobkin showed up.
      We all walked along the North Trail, passing through the right-side gate. Watching
      for alders and listening, we soon heard the male American Redstart.  A little pishing
      brought him out, below the canopy of the alders.  We all got many excellent looks,
      while the bird sang and sang.  He began to range around his presumed territory.

      Our other goal was to search for the female AMRE, reported on this listserv by Chuck
      Vaughn two days ago.  We kept track of the male as he moved in and around Fern
      Canyon by the creek and up the south rim near the dahlia garden.  The four of us
      looked carefully for 50 minutes.  Toby continued the search for a while longer, when
      George, Jan and I had to leave at 10:30.  She called me at noon.  No female AMRE
      could be located, unfortunately.

      Both Toby and myself agreed to try to monitor that area of the botanical gardens
      during the week for the female and any evidence of breeding activity.

      Karen A Havlena
      Fort Bragg, MEN, CA