American Redstart Continues

  • richhubie
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 17, 2009
      Fri. 17 July, 2009--As of 12:15PM the American Redstart was still calling and singing in the same location(see previous postings)at the Mendocino Coast Botanical Gardens. Toby and her dog were at the spot and she said that it had come so close that her binoculars would not focus. The bird was seen by me both hign in the trees and down near the creek. I have uploaded 2 pictures to the site.

      Richard Hubacek
    • richhubie
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 23, 2009
        Thu. Jul 23, 2009--I found the American Redstart at the Mendocino Coast Botanical Gardens again at approx. 4:00 PM. It's location had changed. It was near the East end of Fern Canyon Trail which connects to the SOUTH Trail. It sang infrequently and I did not hear it call. I have not seen a female and there were no signs of nesting although I had a brief moment of hope because it was in a tree with alot of begging chicks. It turned out to be a Western Wood-Pewee nest. It has a bedraggled look (new picture downloaded) which according to The Birds of North America Online is probably due to molting. This bird has been in this general location for at least 13 days.

        Richard Hubacek
        Little River
      • Barbara E. Dolan
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 27, 2009
          To all; I did not see this report until today. I looked and listened
          for the male AMERICAN REDSTART in the area Richard writes about for 3
          hours on 7-25-09. Up and down "FERN" and "CANYON " to Dahlias , etc.
          Unfortunately, I did not have a sighting of the bird. But I left at
          1:30PM . I did find the WESTERN WOOD PEEWEE nest with the babes being
          fed; I also saw 3 groups of BROWN CREEPERS IN 3 different areas around,
          one group with 5 birds. Also WILSONS WARBLER begging to a parent and
          receiving a niblet. A beautiful place to bird, nice weather. Barbara

          Thu. Jul 23, 2009--I found the American Redstart at the Mendocino Coast
          Botanical Gardens again at approx. 4:00 PM. It's location had changed.
          It was near the East end of Fern Canyon Trail which connects to the
          SOUTH Trail. It sang infrequently and I did not hear it call. I have not
          seen a female and there were no signs of nesting although I had a brief
          moment of hope because it was in a tree with alot of begging chicks. It
          turned out to be a Western Wood-Pewee nest. It has a bedraggled look
          (new picture downloaded) which according to The Birds of North America
          Online is probably due to molting. This bird has been in this general
          location for at least 13 days.

          Richard Hubacek
          Little River

          WARNING: The information contained in this message (including any attachments) is intended only for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed. This message may contain information that is privileged, confidential and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. You are hereby notified that any unauthorized dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify HIPAA@... by E-Mail and then destroy this communication in a manner appropriate for privileged information.

        • richhubie
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 29, 2009
            Wed Jul 29, 2009---I was able to refind the American Redstart at the Mendocino Coast Botanical Gardens. It's location was on the West end of Fern Canyon Trail about 30 yds from the end. The same spot that the Audubon Walk found it on the 15th. I found it at 12:30 PM and again at 2:30 PM. I heard it sing only once but it did call several time. It's call is still the loudest and sharpest of all the calls in the area. It's been there now for at least 19 days.

            Richard Hubacek
            Little River
          • rich_trissel
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 9, 2009
              Mendocino Coast Botanical Gardens

              The male American Redstart was still near the intersection of the Fern Canyon Trail and the North Trail at 1:45p this afternoon.

              Good Birding,

              Rich Trissel
              Gualala