7/16 - Pomarine Jaegers & Red Knot - 10 Mile Beach

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 16, 2009
      Thu, 16 July 2009 -- Two non-breeding, adult POMARINE JAEGERS flew out
      of the fog bank that lay immediately offshore from Ten Mile beach this morning.
      It was quite foggy at the north end of Ten Mile beach as I began my SOS shorebird
      survey.
      Still north of Inglenook Creek mouth, a pocket of sunshine opened up, with the
      thick fog bank just a few yards out in the breaking waves.  The jaegers flew about
      15-20 ft above me moving south over the wet sand.  Realizing their navigation error,
      the pair swung around and headed back into the fog and out to sea.  Even though
      it was a brief encounter of less than a minute, they were close providing excellent
      looks including bulbous, central retrices that were a little over an inch longer than
      the median and outer retrices and wide, white patches at the base of the primaries.

      Other shorebirds included a molting RED KNOT.  After discussing the plumage and
      the fact that the Ten Mile bird had a stiff, right leg creating a hobbling gait when it
      tried to run, Toby Tobkin and myself agreed that her REKN on the 14th at Virgin
      Creek beach was a different bird (brighter with no limp).

      Karen A Havlena
      Ten Mile Area
      North of Fort Bragg, CA