Lake co

  • John Luther
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 15, 2009
      Hi All,

      Since I had an 11 AM meeting in Petaluma today I decided to bird Lake Co at
      dawn and then hustle back to Petaluma. After all Petaluma is about half way
      there from Oakland. So out of the house by 4:30 and 7 AM found me at Rodman
      Slough just west of the bridge, but could not find the black bird that I
      hoped for. I went to plan B which was to park east of the bridge by the
      green gate at 1830 Nice-Lucerne Cutoff Road following George Chaniot's and
      Jim Lomax's nice directions. I scanned all of the marsh areas, fields and
      trees seeing lots of black birds such as Crows, Red-winged Blackbirds,
      Starlings, BH Cowbirds, DC Cormorants, but not the one I was hoping for.
      Then, at 7:30, a much longer tailed black bird flew from the northeast
      (perhaps from about where Jim saw it on July 3 on his "death march" in 104
      degree temperature) to near where I was standing. I finally had great views
      of a nice male Great-tailed Grackle. Thank goodness I did not have to go to
      plan C , D, etc. Since it was only 7:30 there was no need to rush back to
      Petaluma. I just enjoyed the Rodman Slough area. I parked east of the
      bridge and watched the White Pelicans, Green Herons, Black-crowned Night
      Herons, DC Cormorants, etc. Just as I was about to leave I noticed a
      long-tailed black bird in a dead tree straight north across the slough on
      the east bank. Yup, it was a (the same?) Great-tailed Grackle. A nice
      morning and when I left at 9 AM it was only 77 degrees.

      John Luther
      Oakland