belated report -- Am Redstart 7/10/09

  • thduke2000
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 15, 2009
      Perhaps I missed it in the archives, but I don't see that this bird has been previously reported.

      While on a brief family trip through the area, we stopped by the Mendocino Coast Botanical Gardens in Fort Bragg. There I heard and saw a singing, adult male AMERICAN REDSTART in the riparian vegetation in what I guess is called "Fern Canyon". The bird was audible and visible from the "North Trail" west of the property's bottleneck; I also heard it from the "Dahlia Garden" (see the garden's map <http://www.gardenbythesea.org/_ccLib/image/pages/PDF-19.pdf>).

      It was good to be back in the region. I wish I could get there more often...

      Cheers,
      Gjon Hazard
      Encinitas, San Diego County, CA