Red Knot at Virgin Creek Beach

  • trudyjensen2005
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 14, 2009
      This morning, while doing a Save Our Shorebirds survey, Toby Tobkin found a Red Knot in a group of 24 Surfbirds. She reports it was molting out of breeding plumage but still had a lot of red on it. It was the same size as the Surfbirds. The group was on the first set of rocks at the north end of the beach.

      Toby Tobkin
      by trudy jensen

      ps - jim & i went to the beach about 12:30 and were not able to find the Red Knot - just 8 Surfbirds, 1 Black Turnstone, a dozen Whimbrels, and a dozen Black Oystercatchers. the waves were washing over a lot of the rocks, so the flock could easily have moved on... trudy