Etsel Ridge & Spruce Grove July11-12

  • George Chaniot
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 13, 2009
      Sat-Sun, 11-12 July 2009 -- A group of eight of us also birded the high
      country of the Mendocino National Forest a day behind Matthew Matthiessen
      and Karen Havlena. On Saturday we followed M1 from the Eel River Ranger
      Station to Spruce Grove. We spent the night at Spruce Grove, and Sunday
      morning we continued south on M1 as far as Monkey Rock. Then we backtracked
      and took M61 and M6 down to Lake Pillsbury and out.
      On the way in along the Covelo Road, we stopped at the Dos Rios Bridge
      and got glimpses of both WHITE-THROATED SWIFTS and VAUX'S SWIFTS. At the
      sandstone bluffs there were two PEREGRINE FALCONS.
      One of the most noticeable things of this trip was abundance of
      CASSIN'S FINCHES. We saw them and heard them singing at numerous locations
      between Charcoal Ridge and Monkey Rock. With over a decade of visiting this
      area in summer, I don't think I've ever seen this many. On May 31st this
      year Chuck Vaughn and I did not see or hear one. We also saw quite a few
      WHITE-HEADED WOODPECKERS from Grizzly Flat to the extreme corner of Lake
      County near where M61 meets M6. DUSKY/HAMMOND'S Flycatchers were evident,
      and we saw a singing TOWNSEND'S SOLITAIRE along M1 near Charcoal Ridge and
      saw another juvenile at Spruce Grove. GREEN-TAILED TOWHEES were numerous,
      and we saw several HERMIT WARBLERS at Spruce Grove.
      At Spruce Grove we found the main camping area occupied (a first for
      me!), so we drove to another very nice site about 200 yards further to the
      east. At about 9:30 p.m. a FLAMMULATED OWL began calling to the west in the
      direction of the spongy meadow, and later in the evening another began
      calling to the east - keeping some of the party from falling asleep!
      At Spruce Grove we hit several fantastic mixed flocks of about ten
      species - one flock seemed to be mobbing something unseen, and the other was
      pished up. Juveniles of almost every species were found wherever we went.
      About 80 species for the whole loop from Ukiah to Ukiah.

      George Chaniot, with Janet Chaniot, Chuck Vaughn, Cheryl Watson, Geoff
      Heinecken, Roger Foote, Barbara Dolan, and Dave Bengsten