Sharp-Shinned Hawk

  • bruceg2661
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 12, 2009
      Sunday 12 July 10:38am This morning I watched a sharp-Shinned Hawk hunting what appeared to be a family of Oregon Juncos. They were all in a White oak growing in our yard, here on Dos Rios east of Laytonville. The tree is about 45'tall with many 2'-3' clumps of mistletoe growing in it through-out the canopy. 5 or 6 Juncos were using the "balls" of mistletoe for refuge as the Sharpie would literally crawl in one side and out the other chasing the the OJs from one clump to another. What I found odd was at the same time, there were several Red-Breasted Nuthatches, with at least 3 obvious Juveniles foraging on the main trunk and limbs of the same oak tree. Seemingly unnoticed and never pursued by the predator. After about 5-6 mins the SSH over took a young Junco as it tried to fly 8 or 10' between clumps! I headed east to check-out the White Throated Swifts at the Dos-Rios/Hwy 162 bridge as well. Great "fly-byes" Thanks Karen! I don't really have a "Favorite" Bird. But if one develops... The WTS is certainly "in the running".
      Remember to have Fun!

      Bruce Gullett.
      Laytonville, Ca.