Etsel Ridge & Spruce Grove 7/10-11/09

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 12, 2009
      Fri, 10 July 2009 -- Matthew Matthiessen and I went on a short camping trip
      to eastern mountains of MEN County, mainly along route M1 and down Hull
      Mtn Rd after MEN County birds for me and year birds for both of us.

      We started the trip at Dos Rios, where 5 WHITE-THROATED SWIFTs could
      be seen at once flying below the Hwy 162 bridge, but several more than that
      number could be heard.  We walked the railroad tracks to listen for Canyon
      Wren, but had no luck with it.  (Dragonflies and damselflies were another
      goal at which we had great success on the Eel River and elsewhere).
      Spruce Grove:
      The most exciting birds of the the trip were 2 FLAMMULATED OWLs that
      began calling at 9:25 pm, before Matthew had his CD and speaker ready to
      go.  One of the owls was directly above us at the top of a tree, so whatever
      direction one turned, it seemed that the bird was calling from a different spot.
      At our campsite in Spruce Grove, 3 CASSIN'S FINCH provided good looks.
      A HAMMOND'S FLYCATCHER also visited the camp.

      Sat, 11 July 2009 -- Driving south on M1, we stopped to see NASHVILLE
      WARBLER, DUSKY FLYCATCHER  & WHITE-HEADED WOODPECKER,
      but missed  out on Townsend's Solitaire. The unlikely Black-chinned Sparrow
      was not to be ours.  Mountain Chickadees, warbers: Black-throated Gray,
      Hermit, Yellow-rumped & Orange-crowned, plus Lincoln's & Fox Sparrows,
      as well as many Red-breasted Nuthatches abounded.

      Karen Havlena
      Matthew Matthiessen
      MEN County, CA