Western Tanager

  • dbaatlanta
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 30, 2009
      This past Saturday 6/26 we were walking along the Eel River in Mendo county just over the hill from Potter Valley when we saw a beautiful yellow bird with a red head. Looked it up in our book and it sounds like a Western Tanager.
    • Ron LeValley
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 17, 2010
        Hi all,

        Sorry to be a little late with this report, but I saw and photographed a
        Western Tanager along the "Enchanted Trail" that goes to Virgin Creek Beach
        on Friday around noon.

        This trail is usually worth checking. It is north of the Three Rivers school
        north of Fort Bragg and is identified by a pullout on the west side of the
        road with a pile of gravel and a small State Park Sign. If you are walking
        to Virgin Creek, this is a good trail to take.

        Cheers, Ron

      • Dave
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 19, 2010
          Yesterday I saw a Western Tanager eating figs out of my fig tree. This is the 3rd time I have seen one in the fig tree in about the last 2 weeks. I think it may be the same bird hanging around. It is kind of shy and elusive.

          Other things of note: I had 55 Pine Siskins (record for my yard) at my feeders yesterday and a flock of about 20 Wild Turkeys that has been here for about three days.
        • Dave
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 11, 2011
            I thought I saw one yesterday, so I looked for it today and verified a bright female Western Tanager eating my figs. I think it might be the same one that I had last year. Unfortunately, for Christy & I, there is lots of competition from Starlings and Jays.

            Something else that has showed up are the Band-tailed Pigeons, which always start coming to the feeders when the rains start. And yesterday there were 8 and today 10 Eurasian-collared Doves. I have never had more than a couple.

            Dave Bengston
            Rogina Heights, Ukiah
          • sauntergs
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 26, 2011
              Just before 4:30 this Monday afternoon I heard 'pit-er-nick' coming from the valley oak above me next to my house on W. Standley St. Ukiah. The Western Tanager soon flew off. If it becomes a common visitor I will let everyone know.