Fwd: Hullville Breeding Bird Survey (Lower Hull Mtn Area)

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 30, 2009
      ----- Forwarded Message ----
      Subject: Fwd: Hullville Breeding Bird Survey (Lower Hull Mtn Area)

      --- In nwcalbird@yahoogroups.com, David Fix & Jude Power <foglark@...> wrote:

      On the 26th Linda Angerer and I conducted the Hullville BBS which runs from up on Hull Mtn. in ex. se. Mendocino Co., I believe, south past the west side of Lake Pillsbury in n. Lake County. The route passes through some outstanding chaparral of a kind that does not occur in Humboldt County, mostly because it's loaded with chamise.

      A highlight was a singing Bell's [Sage] Sparrow, a form regarding as worthy of individual treatment by Beadle and Rising in their sparrows book. This bird was at a site I did not mark but which was one of the flagged BBS stations. It's a few miles northward of Lake Pillsbury and, while a straightforward drive, takes a long time to get to on the mostly unpaved M1 forest road. If anyone is interested in trying to hear and see this sparrow, which I viewed from the main road, let me know and I can put you in touch with Linda for directions.

      We also encountered numerous Blue-gray Gnatcatchers as well as other chaparral birds, including Oak Titmouse. I had California Thrasher at a BBS stop here a couple years ago but not this time. We heard a Poor-will at our camp high on the south shoulder of Hull Mountain the evening of the 25th. From the looks of the habitat, it would seem likely they're scattered throughout that stretch of country.

      David Fix
      Bayside, HUM, Calif

      --- End forwarded message ---