Re: Rodman Slough

  • Floyd Hayes
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 22, 2009
      I had not checked my e-mail for a week (vacationing in Yosemite) when I briefly stopped by Rodman Slough yesterday at 10:00 am, so I was unaware of George Chaniot's sighting of a Least Bittern last week. A couple of minutes after clambering up on the rocks I was pleased to see the LEAST BITTERN flush from reeds about 30 feet away, fly about 20 feet farther into the reeds, and disappear. This morning I learned that Doug Weidemann and his father searched for it at noon yesterday--but they were less fortunate. I also searched fruitlessly for a grackle at Rodman Slough.

      A ROYAL TERN was on the beach at Austin Park in Clearlake. At the small park east of Park Street in Lakeport I counted 67 BLACK-CROWNED NIGHT-HERON nests, up from the 34 nests that Doug and I tallied on May 17. Clear Lake now has large numbers of courting WESTERN and CLARK'S GREBES, but I could not find any fledglings among them.

    • Floyd Hayes
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 22, 2009
        Correction (thanks to John Sterling's query): make that a CASPIAN TERN rather than a ROYAL TERN (I must have been thinking about the Caribbean).

        Floyd Hayes
        Hidden Valley Lake, Ca