Juv Common Moorhens Seen Again

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 19, 2009
      Thu, 18 June 2009 -- George Chaniot and I met at Mendocino College
      to look for the two juvenile COMMON MOORHENS at the "rail pond" on
      the campus of Mendocino College in Ukiah.  George confirmed these
      birds as the first breeding record of COMO in Mendocino County this
      past Sunday, 14 June.  We also were interested in trying to refind a
      BLACK-CROWNED NIGHT HERON that George saw on Sunday.

      We had to wait a while to finally see the two young COMO's emerge from
      the cattails on the east side of the larger pond that is closest to the buildings.
      They are growing quickly!  One of the parents was near the north side of
      the pond.

      There were a few other VERY interesting sightings while we were there.
      One was the traveling clump of cattails that George mentioned in his previous
      post on 6/14.  There was no breeze at all, but this clump of living cattails,
      about 4 ft in diameter, moved back and forth over a 8-10 yard area!  There
      must be an animal (maybe the beaver I saw another time) propelling the
      cattails around the pond - a very puzzling sight to see.  Also, we watched
      dragonflies and snake(s).  Caution>>>> a Western Rattlesnake was by
      the path at the south side of the pond.  It was still cool, so the snake moved
      slowly across the path and into a low area of gray, granite-type rocks.
      These rocks are easy to see, so take care in that specific area.

      After George had to leave, I stayed on to continue looking for the BCNH.
      It was not to be found!  On the east side of the smaller pond to the south,
      I got great looks at a slow moving, 4 ft Gopher Snake.  I got fairly close
      to the adult COMO on the north side of the "rail" pond.

      Park at the east end of the main parking lot and walk south to the ponds,
      which are just west of where the entrance road turns north.

      Karen Havlena