Rodman Slough

  • George Chaniot
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 17, 2009
      Wed, 17 Jun 2009 -- I drove over to Rodman Slough on Clear Lake this morning
      mainly to look for the Great-tailed Grackles reported recently - no luck. I
      walked south from the bridge and out to the rocks near the picnic table.
      There were at least 10 YELLOW-HEADED BLACKBIRDS in the reeds to the south.
      After about ten minutes a LEAST BITTERN appeared in the same reeds, then
      flew by close and landed about 50 feet away. It was about as good a view as
      you can get.
      There was a female GADWALL in the rice field at 'Robinson Lake' , and
      there were at least four CINNAMON TEAL flying over the rice fields along
      Reclamation Road - both species listed as extremely rare in summer on the
      Lake County list.

      George Chaniot
      Potter Valley, MEN, CA
    • Floyd Hayes
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 22, 2009
        I had not checked my e-mail for a week (vacationing in Yosemite) when I briefly stopped by Rodman Slough yesterday at 10:00 am, so I was unaware of George Chaniot's sighting of a Least Bittern last week. A couple of minutes after clambering up on the rocks I was pleased to see the LEAST BITTERN flush from reeds about 30 feet away, fly about 20 feet farther into the reeds, and disappear. This morning I learned that Doug Weidemann and his father searched for it at noon yesterday--but they were less fortunate. I also searched fruitlessly for a grackle at Rodman Slough.

        A ROYAL TERN was on the beach at Austin Park in Clearlake. At the small park east of Park Street in Lakeport I counted 67 BLACK-CROWNED NIGHT-HERON nests, up from the 34 nests that Doug and I tallied on May 17. Clear Lake now has large numbers of courting WESTERN and CLARK'S GREBES, but I could not find any fledglings among them.

      • Floyd Hayes
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 22, 2009
          Correction (thanks to John Sterling's query): make that a CASPIAN TERN rather than a ROYAL TERN (I must have been thinking about the Caribbean).

          Floyd Hayes
          Hidden Valley Lake, Ca