Re:[Mendobirds] Common Moorhens at Mendocino College

  • George Chaniot
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 14, 2009
      Sun, 14 Jun 2009 -- I went back to the Mendocino College pond this morning
      to check on the COMMON MOORHENS, and I quickly found an adult clambering
      around in the _top_ of the cattails pecking at the newly emerging 'flowers'.
      It carried something yellow in its bill deep into the cattails. A few
      minutes later I saw a largish juvenile with a lot of clinging down emerge
      from the cattails at the east end of the pond. About 15 minutes later I saw
      two juveniles at the same time. I heard a lot of rail sounds which I have
      never heard before coming from their vicinity. This is, I believe, the first
      confirmed nesting in Mendocino County. Oddly, there is a floating island of
      cattails in the pond which must have drifted 40 feet while I was there.

      George Chaniot
      Potter Valley, MEN, CA

      Mallard, California Quail, Green Heron, Black-crowned Night Heron, Common
      Moorhen, Eurasian Collared-Dove, Anna's Hummingbird, Belted Kingfisher,
      Acorn Woodpecker, Western Kingbird, Western Scrub-Jay, Violet-green Swallow,
      Cliff Swallow, Barn Swallow, Oak Titmouse, Bushtit, Northern Mockingbird,
      Spotted Towhee, California Towhee, Song Sparrow, Red-winged Blackbird,
      Brewer's Blackbird, Bullock's Oriole