High Country May 18

  • chaniot@pacific.net
    Message 1 of 1 , May 19, 2002
      Sat, 18 May 2002 -- Today I helped Chuck Vaughn do his Breeding Bird Survey
      along the Covelo Road (Rte. 162 between 101 and Round Valley). It was a
      rather birdy morning, and we recorded over seventy species. Yellow-breasted
      Chats were particularly evident along the first third of the road. Of
      particular interest were a pair of RUFOUS-CROWNED SPARROWS at milemarker
      9.25, two WHITE-THROATED SWIFTS at 19.50, an adult PEREGRINE FALCON at the
      sandstone cliffs near 20.50, and a singing GRASSHOPPER SPARROW in Round
      Valley at 26.47.
      After finishing the survey, we returned through the high country
      via Etsel Ridge, Hull Mountain, and Lake Pilsbury. In general the roads are
      dry, graded, and easily traversed. However, there is still a snowbank
      across road M1 between Windy Gap and Hull Mountain. and high-clearance,
      four-wheel drive is necessary to get around it.
      Dusky Flycatchers were seen and heard at many locations from
      Grizzly Flat to Hull Mountain (Dave Woodward reports Dusky Flycatchers as
      early as May 4 in the Snow Mountain area). We did not find Hammond's
      Flycatcher at Spruce Grove as we did 19 May 2001, nor did we find
      Lincoln's Sparrow or Hermit Warbler yet, but there were other migrants and
      residents such as Green-tailed Towhee, Olive-sided Flycatcher, Fox Sparrow,
      Cassin's Finch, White-headed Woodpecker, Mountain Chickadee (feeding
      nestlings already), and Townsend's Solitaire. Mountain Quail were
      "quarking" everywhere, and we actually saw them 5 or 6 times. On the way
      back we found a singing MACGILLIVRAY'S WARBLER along the Eel River about
      1/4 mi up the logging road from Pioneer Crossing Bridge.

      George Chaniot, Potter Valley, MEN, CA