Lake Pilsbury Road

  • George Chaniot
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 12, 2009
      Fri, 12 Jun 2009 -- This morning I did some productive birding along the
      Lake Pilsbury road, 240B, between Potter Valley and Soda Creek,
      concentrating on the Lake County side of the line. My goal for the day was
      to search the grassy area west of Soda Creek for Grasshopper Sparrow, since
      on May 31 Chuck Vaughn and I found several at a similar area on the Covelo
      Road. As it was a weekday morning, there was very little traffic until
      about 10:00, and I had the place almost to myself.
      Just about 1/4 mile into Lake County I found a MACGILLIVRAY'S WARBLER,
      a pair of HERMIT WARBLERS, and a HOUSE WREN. The female Hermit Warbler
      was carrying food. At about mile 36.3 I heard a booming SOOTY GROUSE near
      where I heard one several years ago. Isn't this late in the season?
      I spent about an hour at the grassy hillside. It is located at about
      mile 32.5 and is called "The Slides" on the Mendocino National Forest map.
      It also shows as an open area on the DeLorme map p.75, A 4.5. I picked up
      on a GRASSHOPPER SPARROW before I finished my first thermos of coffee. It
      appeared briefly on a fence wire on the north side of the road then flew
      across the road and down the slope a way. Over the next half hour I got two
      more views downslope. One could be seen singing, and the other seemed to
      have some food in its craw. These were in the area between the two "Slide
      Area" signs and near the pi-shaped gate posts at 27282. In the same area
      there were at least four LAWRENCE'S GOLDFINCHES, 3m 1f, visiting some water
      in a seep along the road and feeding in the weedy grasses upslope - some of
      which were bloomed-out fiddlenecks. I also had several close passes by
      GOLDEN EAGLES and one BALD EAGLE flying upcanyon high overhead.

      George Chaniot
      Potter Valley, MEN, CA

      Full List: Sooty Grouse, Mountain Quail, California Quail, Turkey Vulture,
      Osprey, Bald Eagle, Golden Eagle, Mourning Dove, Acorn Woodpecker,
      Red-shafted N. Flicker, Pileated Woodpecker, Pacific-slope Flycatcher, Black
      Phoebe, Western Kingbird, Cassin's Vireo, Hutton's Vireo, Steller's Jay,
      Common Raven, Tree Swallow, Cliff Swallow, Bushtit, White-breasted Nuthatch,
      House Wren, Blue-gray Gnatcatcher, Western Bluebird, American Robin,
      Wrentit, European Starling, Orange-crowned Warbler, Black-throated Gray
      Warbler, Hermit Warbler, MacGillivray's Warbler, Yellow-breasted Chat,
      Western Tanager, Spotted Towhee, California Towhee, Grasshopper Sparrow,
      Oregon D-e Junco, Black-headed Grosbeak, Western Meadowlark, Brewer's
      Blackbird, Brown-headed Cowbird, Bullock's Oriole, Purple Finch, Lesser
      Goldfinch, Lawrence's Goldfinch.