Re: [Mendobirds] Beginning Birder Binoculars?

  • Joseph Morlan
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 7, 2009
      On Sun, 07 Jun 2009 14:35:37 -0000, "swbearden" <swbearden@...>
      wrote:

      >Hi there,
      >Stan and I are in need of recommendations for entry level binocs for bird watching. Any suggestions??
      >Thanks,
      >Stephanie

      You might consider Bushnell H2O. A very good value for under $100.

      http://listserv.arizona.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind0702d&L=birdchat&P=4945

      --
      Joseph Morlan, Pacifica, CA jmorlan (at) ccsf.edu
      SF Birding Classes start Sept. 15 http://fog.ccsf.edu/~jmorlan/
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 7, 2009
        About one and a half years ago, purchased 8X42 Nikon Monarch binocs from Out of This World(competitive prices) in Mendocino for $300 plus bucks. Very good binoculars. Jerry White
        -

        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 8, 2009
          Having worked my way through a few pairs of binos over the years,
          here are a few ideas I've found important to me (and my non-glasses-
          wearing husband):
          * "Eye relief" is critical - you really do have to try out many pairs
          of binoculars to find those that work with your eyeballs. Some can
          actually make you feel dizzy if they don't match up with your vision
          needs. A good store to try is Out of This World - they're happy to let
          you test theirs outside here in Mendocino.
          * What's the feel of the binoculars - do they get they heavy after a
          while, are they comfortable to hold, easy to focus quickly so you
          don't miss birds while fumbling with the focus knob?
          * If one/both of you wear glasses, there are pop-up or twist-up eye
          rings for people who don't wear glasses (for a closer fit to the eye
          area). So having that part work smoothly and easily, if you're going
          to be sharing a pair, can help eliminate the annoyance of "leaving the
          seat up" after one partner has used the binos.

        • Kate Marianchild
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 8, 2009
            I highly recommend you go to Out of This World and get their help.
            Their customer service and their knowledge of their products is
            fantastic, and their prices are excellent. You'll want to try
            different binoculars on for fit. If you also like to look at flowers
            and insects you might consider a pair that also offers close focus.

            Kate
          • Jeffrey Osier-Mixon
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 8, 2009
              I second (third? fourth?) the recommendation for Out of This World.
              Wonderful folks, a LOT of firsthand knowledge, and excellent prices.

              I bought a Nikon binoc there a few years ago for about $75 for astronomy
              viewing, and they turn out to be excellent for birding as well,
              particularly when used with the tripod mount and an easily-maneuverable
              tripod head, or at least that's the way I like to use them. (Not to
              mention sitting in an adirondack chair looking at Saturn's rings late at
              night.)