Red Crossbills

  • richhubie
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 5, 2009
      Fri-5 June 2009--Red Crossbills are now coming to our feeders in Little River. I've seen at least 2 juveniles. They are very trusting. I've posted two close-up pictures in my Red Crossbill album in the photo section.

      Richard Hubacek
      Little River
    • Rick Harris
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 27, 2011
        Reports of a RED CROSSBILL erratic irruption for the second year here in inland Little River. I have yet to see any but must take it on faith. Report from Richard Hubacek who I saw heading out with his camera.

        Rick
      • Pam Huntley
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 28, 2011
          Hi the Red Crossbills, remain prevalent up on Comptche Ukiah rd. When the sun was shining last month there was lots of courtship singing.
          We heard a large group Sun in the Caspar cemetery. Could anyone say who was flying by in the small flocks low over the ocean this weekend?
          They were in groups of 20 or so. They had rapid wing beats dark on back light on bottom. Very stocky, we were guessing Murrelets. Saw 100's on
          Sat and fewer on Sun.

        • AlbionWood
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 9, 2011
            Some friends are coming for a visit this weekend and would love to see
            Crossbills. Is there a location where they might reliably be found?

            Cheers,
            Tim on Middle Ridge, Albion

            On 2/27/2011 6:31 PM, Rick Harris wrote:
            > Reports of a RED CROSSBILL erratic irruption for the second year here in inland Little River.
          • Jeff Davis
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 9, 2011
              I don't know how reliable they are at this location, but Red Crossbills (and Evening Grosbeaks) were calling in flight at the Little River Airport when I was there over several days in mid-January.

              Jeff Davis
              Fresno, CA

              On Mar 9, 2011, at 7:27 AM, AlbionWood wrote:

              > Some friends are coming for a visit this weekend and would love to see
              > Crossbills. Is there a location where they might reliably be found?
              >
              > Cheers,
              > Tim on Middle Ridge, Albion
              >
              > On 2/27/2011 6:31 PM, Rick Harris wrote:
              > > Reports of a RED CROSSBILL erratic irruption for the second year here in inland Little River.
              > .

            • Ron LeValley
              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 25, 2011
                Probably Common Murres. There are lots around now and they are beginning to
                move towards their nesting islands.

                Ron

                For a free natural history Picture of the Day in your e-mail, go to
                <http://www.levalleyphoto.com/gallery/omw.php>
                http://www.levalleyphoto.com/gallery/omw.php

                For archives of past Picture of the Days, go to
                <http://www.levalleyphoto.com/gallery> www.levalleyphoto.com/gallery

                Ron LeValley Photography
                P.O. Box 332

                Little River CA 95456

                707/937-1742

                <mailto:Ron@...> Ron@...

                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 17, 2011
                  7/17/11 1 mile north of Fort Bragg at our home near Airport Road

                  We have 3 Red Crossbills (here all day today and yesterday). They've been frequenting our front yard feeders for weeks. Here is a link of my Facebook album if you'd like to see. Try copying and pasting the url if you can't click on the links below. Enjoy : )

                  Sarah and David Flaim

                  Album of Birds in our yard:

                  http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1342062264684.2050299.1025024875

                  Crossbill photo: