Rufous-crowned sparrow nest

  • Robert J. Keiffer
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 3, 2009
      Wednesday - 3 June 2009 - UC Hopland Research &Extension Center - this
      morning Greg Giusti, Shane Feirer, and I discovered a Rufous-crowned Sparrow
      nest with 4 unmarked whitish-blue (maybe white as it was hard to tell in the
      shadows) eggs in it. It was in Blue Oak (Quercus douglasii) habitat with a
      grass understory .rattlesnake grass, ripgut, dogtail, etc. The site was
      very well shaded and is on a west aspect old cut on the upper side of a very
      old dozed-fire trail . with the nest tucked into a small pocket on the
      partially grassed road-cut. The nest is grassed-lined with tightly woven
      grass, with an overhand which protected the upperside of the bird and nest.
      The female returned to the nest to brood shortly after being flushed. I
      believe that this may be Mendocino County's first documented nest .although
      nesting has been confirmed in the past by observers witnessing adults
      feeding fledged young. Good birding. Bob Keiffer