lots of nesting and dispatched ravens

  • lakshmikary
    Message 1 of 1 , May 27, 2009
      Hi - A few interesting things.
      This year Im seeing alot more nesting birds, unfortunetly the european sparrows are chasing the new birdbird couple out of the boxes.
      Some ravens were nesting atop a tall pine tree in our yard(about 3 stories up) on monday morning I found 3 young raven heads , neatly detached and about 3 feet from their intact bodies on the ground below the nest, it appears they were just about to fledge, still with a few pin feathers..they were just dispatched and kicked out there were no signs of them being eaten,etc.
      I beleive this attack happened at night. I dont hear any more sounds , nor do I see the parents who were regulars here.

      I saw 2 young piliated woodpeckers that appear to have just left the nest.
      And ,It wasnt the piliated woodpeckers in our dead pine tree as I suspected as I see a female and male on our property often,
      because yesterday I saw a female flicker enter a hole in it.

      There are a number of other nesting birds that have returned to the same nests for several years now.

      Usually we have a number of Pheobes here, but for some reason they are all absent for a few weeks now.( really strange as we usually have so many)

      Today I saw some sort of raptor type bird Ive never seen in this are area before, it had long ,narrow wings, and was very light colored,top and undersides with white/grey with some black perhaps, but it definetly was not a kite or the usual hawks around here.
      I wasnt able to grab my binocs before it flew off.It wasnt making any sounds. Curious if anyone has any ideas on that.
      Lynne- Road D redwood valley
      any birder is welcome to hangout here and "bird" just call ahead.