Branscomb, Angelo Reserve & Dos Rios Birds

    Message 1 of 1 , May 25, 2009
      Mon, 25 May 2009 -- Today, I helped Bob Keiffer run his Breeding Bird
      Survey on Branscomb Rd, from Laytonville to Hwy 1.  Our most surprising
      bird was a NASHVILLE WARBLER found by Bob west of Branscomb.
      Quite a few HERMIT, BLACK-THROATED GRAY, WILSON'S and
      ORANGE-CROWNED WARBLERS were at many stops.  One of the
      WILSON'S stumped us for a couple of minutes until we could actually
      see it, because its song was so rapid - a Wilson's on speed.  We also had
      PURPLE MARTINS and a GREEN HERON near the western end
      of the route.

      Jim joined us for the rest of the day.  We tried for Marbled Murrelets at
      Juan Creek without success.  (There have not been any MAMU there
      for months).  Then, we traveled back east on Branscomb Rd, then
      north on Wilderness Lodge Rd to the Angelo Coast Range Reserve,
      where we met Peter Steel.  We found two to three old NORTHERN
      GOSHAWK nests, but no NOGOs.

      Continuing east, we drove Dos Rios Rd its12 miles from Laytonville to
      the Hwy 162 bridge. There we saw 3+ WHITE-THROATED SWIFTS.
      We then walked the old railroad tracks between Dos Rios and the Eel
      River to listen for Canyon Wren but had no luck with it.  So, back to
      Laytonville we went to end our fun day.

      Karen Havlena
      (Bob Keiffer and Jim Havlena, too)