Brown Pelicans

  • hbgandmsg
    Message 1 of 3 , May 18, 2009
      The last few days have brought the most magnificent display of Brown
      Pelicans my wife and I have seen since moving to Albion in 2005.

      Notwithstanding "duplicates" in my observations, my estimate is based
      on counting formations which varied from one or two individuals up
      to 52 in one group - usually in groups of 20-30. I estimate that on
      Sunday afternoon, May 17, groups totaling 300-500 Brown Pelicans
      scoped the shoreline of Salmon Creek cove and then headed north.

      Today, we are also seeing a consistent series of fly-bys and then they
      head north.

      BTW - would someone educate me and let me know what the correct term
      is for a "group" of pelicans? My Googled results include pod,
      squadron, flock, scoop...

      Thank you!

      Howard Guyer
      Albion, CA
    • Becky Stenberg
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 1, 2011
        Thursday mid-afternoon a group of around 6 Brown Pelicans came through Van
        Damme, heading north. Maybe what Jeanne saw? Also, several long straggling
        Vs of geese, maybe 1000 birds in all passed by, high up just offshore.

        Becky Stenberg
        Fort Bragg

      • Richard Kuehn
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 1, 2011
          Depending upon the timing of the geese’s passage near Becky Stenberg, I
          believe these were Brant, as they actually came over land above our house
          and studio just after 1 p.m. yesterday.

          We saw between 550 and 600 go directly overhead, but we could see that
          several groups were just disappearing in the distance, too.

          I snapped a couple of quick images, but they weren’t remarkable so I’ve not
          uploaded them.

          The geese themselves were easily identifiable by their call as they were
          QUITE noisy.

          Good Birding -Rich

          Richard Kuehn

          WindandSea at The Sea Ranch