Red Crossbills

  • richhubie
    Message 1 of 9 , May 13, 2009
      13 May 2009, Wed. At 11:30 AM, I heard and observed 12 Red Crossbills flying from the Pygmy Forest over Little River Airport Rd. to the "Wood's" Senior Park.

      Richard Hubacek
      Little River
    • richhubie
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 5, 2009
        Fri-5 June 2009--Red Crossbills are now coming to our feeders in Little River. I've seen at least 2 juveniles. They are very trusting. I've posted two close-up pictures in my Red Crossbill album in the photo section.

        Richard Hubacek
        Little River
      • Rick Harris
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 27, 2011
          Reports of a RED CROSSBILL erratic irruption for the second year here in inland Little River. I have yet to see any but must take it on faith. Report from Richard Hubacek who I saw heading out with his camera.

          Rick
        • Pam Huntley
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 28, 2011
            Hi the Red Crossbills, remain prevalent up on Comptche Ukiah rd. When the sun was shining last month there was lots of courtship singing.
            We heard a large group Sun in the Caspar cemetery. Could anyone say who was flying by in the small flocks low over the ocean this weekend?
            They were in groups of 20 or so. They had rapid wing beats dark on back light on bottom. Very stocky, we were guessing Murrelets. Saw 100's on
            Sat and fewer on Sun.

          • AlbionWood
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 9, 2011
              Some friends are coming for a visit this weekend and would love to see
              Crossbills. Is there a location where they might reliably be found?

              Cheers,
              Tim on Middle Ridge, Albion

              On 2/27/2011 6:31 PM, Rick Harris wrote:
              > Reports of a RED CROSSBILL erratic irruption for the second year here in inland Little River.
            • Jeff Davis
              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 9, 2011
                I don't know how reliable they are at this location, but Red Crossbills (and Evening Grosbeaks) were calling in flight at the Little River Airport when I was there over several days in mid-January.

                Jeff Davis
                Fresno, CA

                On Mar 9, 2011, at 7:27 AM, AlbionWood wrote:

                > Some friends are coming for a visit this weekend and would love to see
                > Crossbills. Is there a location where they might reliably be found?
                >
                > Cheers,
                > Tim on Middle Ridge, Albion
                >
                > On 2/27/2011 6:31 PM, Rick Harris wrote:
                > > Reports of a RED CROSSBILL erratic irruption for the second year here in inland Little River.
                > .

              • Ron LeValley
                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 25, 2011
                  Probably Common Murres. There are lots around now and they are beginning to
                  move towards their nesting islands.

                  Ron

                  For a free natural history Picture of the Day in your e-mail, go to
                  <http://www.levalleyphoto.com/gallery/omw.php>
                  http://www.levalleyphoto.com/gallery/omw.php

                  For archives of past Picture of the Days, go to
                  <http://www.levalleyphoto.com/gallery> www.levalleyphoto.com/gallery

                  Ron LeValley Photography
                  P.O. Box 332

                  Little River CA 95456

                  707/937-1742

                  <mailto:Ron@...> Ron@...

                  Message 8 of 9 , Jul 17 1:17 PM
                    7/17/11 1 mile north of Fort Bragg at our home near Airport Road

                    We have 3 Red Crossbills (here all day today and yesterday). They've been frequenting our front yard feeders for weeks. Here is a link of my Facebook album if you'd like to see. Try copying and pasting the url if you can't click on the links below. Enjoy : )

                    Sarah and David Flaim

                    Album of Birds in our yard:

                    http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1342062264684.2050299.1025024875

                    Crossbill photo: