Humboldt and Mendocino 5/10

  • Steve Glover
    Message 1 of 1 , May 10, 2009
      Hi all,
      Today Frances Oliver and I hit a few spots in Humboldt County and made two quick stops in Mendocino County.

      First thing in the morning we saw 1-2 of the Lewis's Woodpeckers 17 miles up Bald Hill Rd. at the Lyons Ranch Trail.

      Near McKinleyville we managed to see a Bank Swallow somewhere near the colony established last year. We took the airport exit, parked at the nearby trailhead, and walked a steep trail most of the way down the bluffs to see it.

      At Arcata Marsh we missed the Wilson's Phalarope reported an hour earlier but did see a pair of Blue-winged Teal and Rob (still smiling) Fowler.

      At the Humboldt Bay N.W.R. there were 2 American Bitterns near the visitor center.

      In a quick search we did not find the Harris's Sparrow at Fay Slough. The dwindling zono flock seems to have dwindled to 2, both White-crowns.

      In Mendocino County we noticed a flock of swifts over the Eel River at the bridge near mile 103. We backtracked to a pullout on the southbound side just before the bridge (quite possibly not legal). Amongst a flock of Vaux's Swifts were at least 3 and probably more White-throated Swifts, a county bird for both of us.

      Finally, at about 5:30 we saw a pair of Lawrence's Goldfinches in the amsinckia just before the end of Burris Lane.

      Good birding!
      Steve Glover
      Dublin, CA