Potter Valley Migrants + Ukiah Swifts (MEN Co)

  • Matt Brady
    Message 1 of 1 , May 6 10:16 PM
      Hi Birders. I had a few unusual migrants at my parent's place in Potter Valley (Mendocino County) today. Perhaps of most interest (to me) was an adult male CALLIOPE HUMMINGBIRD that tried to share the single Hummingbird feeder with about a dozen Anna's and at least three Rufous Hummingbirds. Also quite interesting was a pair of PURPLE MARTINS that buzzed by while I happened to be out on the deck. The PUMAs were new for me for the inland portions of the County (and my yard, of course). Actually, today was quite a good day for migrant Swallows in general, with a dozen or so Cliff Swallows, two Northern Rough-winged Swallows and several Violet-green Swallows during the same twenty or so minutes that I noticed the Martins in. In the Raptor department, I was excited to see a pair of BALD EAGLES soaring high over the valley, headed in the general direction of the pond at the end of Burris Lane. I've seen them from the property several times during
      winters past, but these were the first Bald Eagles I have seen during the breeding season in Potter Valley. Also interesting were a dozen or so Turkey Vultures that suddenly appeared low over our house; judging by their sudden appearance and disappearance, I suspect that they were migrants.

      At the end of Burris Lane at about 5:30 this afternoon, I did not see any Lawrence's Goldfinches, but most of the expected migrants were in (Western Kingbird, Lark Sparrow, Chipping Sparrow, etc), and I saw another 50 or so Cliff Swallows and a half dozen or so Violet-green Swallows moving past. Also nice to see was a close adult Golden Eagle.

      Finally, this evening in Ukiah I noted 250 or more VAUX'S SWIFTS crusing fairly low over the County Courthouse.

      I have two photos of the Calliope Hummingbird on my Flickr page at: <http://www.flickr.com/photos/podoces/3508866727/>

      Good birding,

      Matt Brady
      Potter Valley, CA