Lawrence's Goldfinches on Burris Lane

  • George Chaniot
    Message 1 of 2 , May 5, 2009
      Tue, 05 May 2009 -- This evening at 6:30 I saw a pair of LAWRENCE'S
      GOLDFINCHES along the road above the pond on Burris Lane in Potter Valley.
      There is a patch of orange fiddle necks beyond the fence on the north side
      of the road which they were visiting along with some Lesser Goldfinches.
      They also landed on the fence.

      George Chaniot
      Potter Valley, MEN, CA
    • George Chaniot
      Message 2 of 2 , May 8, 2009
        Fri, 08 May 2009 -- This evening from 6:45-7:05 the LAWRENCE'S GOLDFINCHES
        were back at the end of Burris Lane in Potter Valley as described in the
        last post. This time there were two females and one male on the fence and
        in the orange fiddlenecks. When they land in the fiddlenecks, they
        disappear from sight and could be overlooked. A male was singing on the
        fence only about 25 feet from my car window; I don't think I have ever heard
        the song as well. It's a sweet, complex warble with some mimicry thrown in.
        I hope we can find them on tomorrow's field trip.

        George Chaniot
        Potter Valley, MEN, CA