USTP birds 5/3

  • Chuck & Barbara Vaughn
    Message 1 of 2 , May 3, 2009
      Greetings Mendobirders- Barbara and I got out this morning to the USTP in
      between these May rains. We met Geoff and Cheryl and Barbara Dolan. There
      had certainly been a turnover in shorebirds since last Wednesday. The big
      surprise was a group of at least 200 RED-NECKED PHALAROPES, in various
      stages of alternate plumage, on the N pond. I do not recall ever seeing
      that many birds inland before. My personal previous high count inland was
      33 birds at USTP in April, 1995. Other birds of local interest were 15
      SEMIPALMATED PLOVERS, 15 DUNLIN, and a single LONG-BILLED DOWITCHER. The
      Avocets and the Wilson's Phalarope were not to be seen, however the latter
      could easily have been invisible in the mass of Red-necked Phalaropes.

      Chuck

      Chuck and Barbara Vaughn
      Ukiah, CA 95482

      cevaughn@...
    • Floyd Hayes
      Message 2 of 2 , May 4, 2009
        Borax Lake has some excellent shorebird habitat but unfortunately few shorebirds. A SEMIPALMATED PLOVER and four LEAST SANDPIPERS were there yesterday. An adult FORSTER'S TERN was at Redbud Park yesterday and two were at Corinthian Bay (just north of Lakeside County Park) during the Heron Festival on Sunday the 26th.

        Floyd Hayes
        Hidden Valley Lake, CA