Eurasian Collared Doves

  • bruceg2661
    Message 1 of 8 , May 1, 2009
      I watched five Eurasian Collared Doves here in Laytonville valley this evening at 6:15 pm feeding in a horse pasture with 8-10 California quial and a small flock of Brewer's black birds. I was able to watch them for about 10 minutes before they were "spooked" along with the quail and blackbirds by some one coming out of a house to tend the horses. The location was/is 44700 Tolen Ave. Access is west at the Laytonville Auto Parts store, across from the Cheveron station in Downtown Laytonville. Take the second left just past a large two storie building. Then, it's the second house on the right. Yesterday 4/30 I saw what I thought was a Collered dove fly over hwy 101 approx. 4 miles south of Laytonville at the Shamrock Ranch. (Where the Elk hang out on the east side of the hwy)But was unable to make a good ID.

      Bruce Gullett, Laytonville, Ca.
      (707)-489-6443
    • AlbionWood
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 12, 2010
        Sunday Sept 12, 2010 - A juvenile SOLITARY SANDPIPER visited the little
        pond just outside our living-room window this morning around 10. It
        stayed a few minutes, just long enough to snap a few photos, before
        winging off to the south. This bird's back was brownish-grey, with
        white edges to most of the feathers, making it look quite different from
        the dark grey bird pictured in Sibley's. Feathers were clean, sharp,
        and bright, like a brand-new bird.

        I reported a SOSA at the same location two years ago on Sept 5.

        Cheers,
        Tim Bray
        Middle Ridge, Albion
      • AlbionWood
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 15, 2010
          Just added a photo of this bird to the folder "Albion Birds" on this
          Group's page, in case anyone wants to see the color variation I was
          talking about. If you were looking at this bird with Sibley's in hand,
          you might have a difficult time matching it up.
        • Jim Lomax
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 15, 2010
            That might be because it is a Pectoral Sandpiper.

            Jim Lomax

            On Sep 15, 2010, at 6:32 PM, AlbionWood wrote:

            > Just added a photo of this bird to the folder "Albion Birds" on this
            > Group's page, in case anyone wants to see the color variation I was
            > talking about. If you were looking at this bird with Sibley's in hand,
            > you might have a difficult time matching it up.

          • jarlyus
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 5, 2011
              4/5/11
              I guess these ever-more-common doves don't know that they are non-native and thus unprotected.
              I have at least two pairs nearby that coo-COO-coo loudly and incessantly starting at about 5 AM every morning.
              At least starlings and House Sparrows are smart enough to stay quiet that time of day.
              I seem to not hear the more pleasant calls of Mourning Doves so much any more. I wonder if there is a connection.

              Jim Armstrong
              SE Potter Valley
            • Tim Liguori
              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 5, 2011
                FYI - we've had well over 20 show up the last two summers and now thru the winter. But this winter, red-shouldered hawks are showing up for a hardy meal.
                And I'm seeing more around town this year.

                Perhaps the RS hawks are increasing to help with the balance?

                Regards,

                Tim Liguori
                Fairfield, CA
                Blackberry'd from Tim Liguori