Dipper on Potter Valley Road

  • George Chaniot
    Message 1 of 3 , May 1 5:47 PM
      Fri, 01 May 2009 -- Today I found an AMERICAN DIPPER, perhaps two, at the
      'quarry' area along Potter Valley Road at about milepost 0.97. There is
      quite a bit of fresh dipper sign downstream as far as the parking area at
      milepost 0.75. I saw a dipper carrying food upstream from the rapids, and I
      suspect that there is a nest in that vicinity.

      George Chaniot
      Potter Valley, MEN, CA
    • George Chaniot
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 17, 2012
        Tue, 17 Jan 2012 -- This morning there was an AMERICAN DIPPER singing in the
        riffle just above the new bridge on Potter Valley Road. Seen from the
        bridge itself. Hopefully they will nest in this region again.
        At Lake Mendocino there was an adult BALD EAGLE on the east shore south
        of Miti Campground. The trees have been cut from the end of Miti spit since
        the Christmas Count including 'the last tree' where raptors used to sit. I
        could cry.

        George Chaniot
        Potter Valley, MEN, CA
      • gchaniot
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 4, 2013
          Mon, 04 Feb 2013 - This morning at about 9:50 there was an AMERICAN DIPPER singing underneath the old bridge on Potter Valley Road. It was barely audible over the sound of running water. Underneath the bridge the opening of the dome nest has been rearranged for the first time in months. It looks as though they may reuse this nest from last year as they have reused or rebuilt them off-and-on for over 20 years.
          The old bridge on Potter Valley Road is on the left about 200 yards from route 20 and before the road crosses the new bridge.

          George Chaniot
          Potter Valley, MEN, CA