Lake County Canyon Wren

  • George Chaniot
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 13, 2009
      Mon, 13 Apr 2009 -- Taking a tip from Jim Lomax,
      <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/countybirders/message/4160> I went back to
      Riviera West Drive on the side of Mount Konocti, parked at the end of
      Mountain Crest Drive, and made my way uphill to the Mount Konocti cliffs.
      This is serious, blind, bushwhacking, and it took about a half hour to go
      about a quarter mile up the steep slope. I spent about another forty
      minutes working west along the base of the cliffs, and finally heard, but
      never saw, a CANYON WREN. It was about 50 yards beyond the pink flagging.
      No White-throated Swifts today.
      On the drive back along Soda Bay Road I saw a pair of EURASIAN
      COLLARED-DOVES near Stone Road, and at Lakeside Park I independently
      discovered the SNOW GOOSE and ROSS'S GOOSE that I see Floyd Hayes reported
      yesterday.
      Seeing the Snow Goose reminded me of something I never reported:
      Joanne Haller and I found a SNOW GOOSE and an ALEUTIAN CACKLING GOOSE on the
      north shore of Lake Pilsbury back on March 26.

      George Chaniot
      Potter Valley, MEN, CA
    • Floyd Hayes
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 14, 2009
        I'm quite certain the Snow Goose and Ross's Goose at Lakeside County Park are the same birds that we saw there on February 6 (reported to Mendobirds), when a lady who happened to be driving by briefly stopped and told us that one of them had been rehabilitated and released. Does anybody know any details about the rehabilitation and release? Both were flying with a flock of Canada Geese on Sunday so obviously they're healthy enough to depart on their own. I suspect the Ross's Goose is the same one that had been hanging out in Lakeport where it was seen repeatedly by David Woodward and others earlier in the winter. It's possible that the Snow Goose was one of two in Clearlake earlier in the winter. I'm wondering whether David or Jerry have any perspectives on these birds?

        Floyd Hayes
        Hidden Valley Lake, CA