Leucistic Band-tailed Pigeon

  • Robert J. Keiffer
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 13 8:32 AM
      12 April 2009 - Easter Sunday - in late afternoon I came across a flock of
      about 100 Band-tailed Pigeons and was surprised to get my binocs on an
      apparent leucistic Band-tail. The entire bird was about the cream color of
      a Eurasian Collared-Dove ..but it was definitely a wild Band-tailed Pigeon.
      That was here as the UC Hopland Research & Extension Center ..but these
      pigeons will be moving on ( to where?) very soon ..so keep an eye out.
      Good birding. Bob Keiffer

    • Floyd Hayes
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 13 10:25 AM
        Yesterday I birded around Clear Lake with Don and Doug Weidemann. We tallied several late winter birds, including a 1st-cycle THAYER'S GULL and four HORNED GREBES at Clearlake, two more HORNED GREBES at Clearlake Park, a 1st-cycle WESTERN GULL at Nice, and a SNOW GOOSE and a ROSS'S GOOSE at Lakeside County Park. We also saw four male and two female CINNAMON TEAL at Robinson Lake.

        At Corinthian Bay (just west of Lakeside County Park) we counted 57 active GREAT BLUE HERON nests, which can be viewed from St. Francis Drive and Elizabeth Drive.

        At Nice we were entertained by a EUROPEAN STARLING pilfering nesting material from an active OSPREY nest.

        Floyd Hayes
        Hidden Valley Lake, CA

      • Floyd Hayes
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 8, 2009
          After being excused from jury duty yesterday, I birded around the lake. At the mouth of Rodman Slough I walked out onto the rocks and, about 5 minutes later, a LEAST BITTERN flushed from reeds only about 12 feet from the farthest rock and flew about 75 feet before disappearing into the reeds. I searched the area between Rodman Slough and Robinson Lake for the Great-tailed Grackle for more than 45 minutes before giving up.

          Shorebirds are moving through and I'm predicting a stellar migration this fall for Lake County. A flock of 13 LESSER YELLOWLEGS flew over Robinson Lake (water too high for shorebirds). At Borax Lake, where shorebird conditions are ideal (lowest water I've seen since moving here 5 years ago), about 80 WESTERN SANDPIPERS and 20 LEAST SANDPIPERS were on the small pools on the former island (now connected to land and accessible by foot).

          Floyd Hayes
          Hidden Valley Lake, CA
        • Floyd Hayes
          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 25, 2011
            While canoeing on Clear Lake today we saw five MARBLED GODWITS and a GREAT-TAILED GRACKLE flying north over Rumsey Slough toward Lakeport, and a huge flock of 33 CASPIAN TERNS (high count for the county?) flying past Redbud Park at Clearlake.

            Floyd Hayes
            Hidden Valley Lake, CA
          • Floyd Hayes
            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 17, 2012
              Yesterday I birded around Clear Lake with Doug Weidemann and Bryan McIntosh. I relocated the adult LESSER BLACK-BACKED GULL in a flock of gulls out on the water off Austin Park in Clearlake. We watched it from 8:00-8:12 am. There were a few thousand gulls at Redbud Park in the morning, which we scrutinized. Eventually I spotted a possible 1st-cycle Lesser Black-backed Gull out in the water. We studied it for 45 minutes, hoping it would come in closer, but it never flew and remained too distant to be certain of its identity (I posted some photos on the Calgulls listserve). At Pirate's Cove in Clearlake Park, Doug found a female BARROW'S GOLDENEYE along the beach beside the road. Along the Nice-Lucerne Cutoff Road at the north end of the lake we saw a possible American X Eurasian Green-winged Teal (broad, creamy horizontal stripe and white vertical stripe).

              Floyd Hayes
              Hidden Valley Lake, CA
            • Floyd Hayes
              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 11, 2014
                I forgot to mention that yesterday morning at Kelsey Creek we also saw an EARED GREBE standing on the gravel bar until we approached it. I very rarely see grebes standing on land and always wonder if they are well.

                At the mouth of Adobe Creek (accessible only by boat) we saw two MARBLED GODWITS, nine WILSON'S PHALAROPES, three BONAPARTE'S GULLS, and a BALD EAGLE that flushed all of them.

                Floyd Hayes
                Angwin, CA

                Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPhone
              • Floyd Hayes
                Message 7 of 9 , Sep 3, 2014
                  I've been remiss in reporting some bird sightings the past few weeks, nearly all seen in places accessible only by boat, by myself, Bryan McIntosh and Nathan Zimmerlee:

                  On 2 September we saw a female BUFFLEHEAD, a BLACK-NECKED STILT, an AMERICAN AVOCET, two PECTORAL SANDPIPERS, and a probable MERLIN at the northwest end of Clear Lake (area south of Rodman Slough), an early AMERICAN WIGEON (female) and an early WESTERN GULL (adult) at Willow Point (Lakeport), and a BAIRD'S SANDPIPER at Rumsey Slough.

                  On 28 August we saw two BAIRD'S SANDPIPERS at Rodman Slough, a BLACK-NECKED STILT and a BAIRD'S SANDPIPER at the northwest end of Clear Lake, a probable CATTLE EGRET (flyby) at Tule Island, and 76 RED-NECKED PHALAROPES at Borax Lake.

                  On 26 August we saw two BAIRD'S SANDPIPERS at Rodman Slough, eight BLACK-NECKED STILTS at the northwest end of Clear Lake, two female BUFFLEHEADS at Quercus Point, and three AMERICAN AVOCETS at Kelsey Creek.

                  On 21 August we saw four MARBLED GODWITS at Manning Creek and a BLACK-BELLIED PLOVER at Rumsey Slough.

                  On 14 August we saw two MINK (mammals, not an acronym for a bird) at Rodman Slough, eight VIRGINIA RAILS and a juvenile SORA east of Tule Island, two WILSON'S PHALAROPES at Lafferty Lane in Lakeport, and a MARBLED GODWIT at Rumsey Slough.

                  Tragically, more than 1000 WESTERN GREBE and CLARK'S GREBE nests with perhaps 5000 eggs were blown ashore by strong winds at the north end of Clear Lake between 10 and 14 August. I haven't finished tallying our results yet but I think we're near 5,000 nesting attempts for the season. Because of the very low water levels this year, all grebe nests have been built in open water (rather than in shoreline vegetation) where they are more susceptible to predators (CALIFORNIA GULL, RING-BILLED GULL and AMERICAN CROW documented this year) and strong winds.

                  Floyd Hayes
                  Angwin, CA

                • Floyd Hayes
                  Message 8 of 9 , Sep 12, 2014
                    Apologies for a late report. On Tuesday the 9th we saw a WHITE-FACED IBIS fly across the north end of Clear Lake at dawn. Late in the morning we saw good numbers of sandpipers and terns on the muddy island south of Rodman Slough, including 9 PECTORAL SANDPIPERS, 28 GREATER YELLOWLEGS, 2 LESSER YELLOWLEGS, 5 RED-NECKED PHALAROPES and 8 FORSTER'S TERNS.

                    Floyd Hayes
                    Angwin, CA
                  • Floyd Hayes
                    Message 9 of 9 , Sep 21, 2014
                      This afternoon I saw the following birds on the mudflats south of the bridge over Rodman Slough: a WHITE-FACED IBIS, an AMERICAN AVOCET, 8 MARBLED GODWITS, 8 PECTORAL SANDPIPERS and a DUNLIN.