Loggerhead Shrike -- Calling and Singing!

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 10, 2009
      10 April 2009, Fri -- The Loggerhead Shrike was still present despite 4 deer and 12 ravens
      in the yard, plus a brisk wind blowing.  It was at the top of a scrubby, shore pine next to the
      boundary fence.  I managed to get quite close, standing next to a thorny shrub.  The shrike
      began to give its buzzy, short call 8+ times.  It was silent for a minute, then it gave a one-note
      call, metallic and clear like a Cal Towhee.  After 6 to 8 of the one-note call, it waited about
      30 seconds, then began a two-note "song."  The quality was similar to the one-note call, but
      with two notes together followed by a short pause.  (I have heard the buzzy call many times
      but not the song).

      Note:  The reason one must look for the shrike from the botanical gardens is that small
      neighborhood has a locked gate to a private road, thus preventing entrance.  The gardens
      has a small entrance fee if you are not a member.  It is located on the west side of Hwy 1
      in S Fort Bragg, south of Hwy 20.

      Karen A Havlena
      Fort Bragg, CA