Tricolored Blackbirds

  • George Chaniot
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 9, 2009
      Wed, 08 Apr 2009 -- TRICOLORED BLACKBIRDS are back in numbers at the
      location on East Road in Potter Valley where the bred last year. Today
      there was a minimum of 240 birds in the blackberry hedge on the south side
      of the pond at mailbox 10707 East Road, and nest building is underway.
      There are also tricolors present near the two other locations where they
      have nested in Potter, but I have not been able to determine their status
      yet.

      George Chaniot
      Potter Valley, MEN, CA
    • George Chaniot
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 14, 2011
        Thu, 14 Apr 2011 -- TRICOLORED BLACKBIRDS have been present at the breeding
        location on Eastside Road in Potter Valley since April 1st. They can be
        observed and photographed easily from the car window at close range. There
        has been some clearing of the blackberries in the heart of the breeding area
        over the winter, and the number of birds appears to be lower than recent
        years.
        The location is beside a pond on the west side of Eastside Road. There
        is a pullout by mailbox 10707 on the west side of the road. Please try not
        to block access to the mailboxes.

        Friday, Saturday, and Sunday (15th, 16th, 17th) is the triennial
        Statewide Tricolored Blackbird Survey. I will be visiting all the
        historical breeding sites in Lake and Mendocino counties and scouting other
        areas of suitable habitat where they have never been found. I ask that
        people report all sightings of Tricolors in this period to me at the address
        below and particularly any evidence of nesting. Males doing the
        "bag-o'-cats" chorusing is good presumptive evidence of nearby nesting.

        Some nesting sites in recent years:
        Mendocino County
        McGuire's Pond on Route 20 west of Willits
        "Wilson's Pond" (private property), Burris Lane, Potter Valley
        Armstrong's Pasture (private property), Burris Lane, Potter Valley
        Pond near 10707 Eastside Road, Potter Valley
        Christmas Star Vineyard Pond, Westside Road, Potter Valley
        (inactive?)
        Fetzer Valley Oaks(formerly) Pond (private property), Hopland

        Lake County
        Lyons Creek
        Highland Springs Road north of Bell Hill Road
        Adobe Creek Reservoir

        George Chaniot
        Potter Valley, MEN, CA
        chaniot@...
      • George Chaniot
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 10
          Sat, 10 Jan 2015 -- This morning Steve Stump and I saw at least 4 TRICOLORED
          BLACKBIRDS and 12 BROWN-HEADED COWBIRDS on Pine Avenue in Potter Valley.
          They were in the flock of mixed blackbirds associating with cattle at a
          feeding area about 3/4 miles from Eastside Road.

          George Chaniot
          Potter Valley, MEN, CA