White-throated Swifts

  • chaniot@pacific.net
    Message 1 of 4 , May 3, 2002
      Fri, 3 May 2002 -- Today I saw a WHITE-THROATED SWIFT flying near the
      bridge on Hwy 101 just south of the Piercy exit. This is close to
      milemarker 103. I did not see any when I passed northbound on 28 April.
      White-throated swifts were easily seen at the Edward Wagner Bridge at
      milemarker 6.0 in southern Humboldt County on both the 28th and today.

      George Chaniot, Potter Valley, CA
    • john_e_hunter@fws.gov
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 10 8:41 AM
        Mendo birders,

        On 3-7-05 I saw at least 4 White-throated Swifts (along with some
        Violet-green Swallows) flying beneath and exploring potential nest sites
        under the north end of the Hwy. 101 bridge over the South Fork Eel River
        just a few miles south of the Humboldt County line. The north end of this
        long bridge is at milepost 103 on Hwy. 101.

        A few miles north in Humboldt County on the same day I had 7-10
        White-throated Swifts along with Violet-green Swallows exploring the Wagner
        Bridge.

        John E. Hunter
        Arcata Fish and Wildlife Office
        1655 Heindon Road
        Arcata, CA 95521
        707-822-7201 (phone)
        707-822-8136 (fax)
        John_E_Hunter@...
      • George Chaniot
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 4, 2013
          Tue, 04 Jun 2013 -- This morning Park Steiner, Scott Harris, and I saw at
          least six WHITE-THROATED SWIFTS at the Pioneer Crossing Bridge on the Eel
          River north of Potter Valley where we saw them on the 11 May Peregrine
          Audubon field trip. Scott says that he has been seeing them regularly for
          about a month and that they have been nesting in the outer two drain holes
          beneath the north end of the span. Today they were making spectacular low
          passes over the bridge at close range. They tend to be absent for 10-15
          minutes and then appear suddenly like gangbusters.

          George Chaniot
          Potter Valley, MEN, CA
        • George Chaniot
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 23 12:11 PM
            Sat, 22 Mar 2014 -- This afternoon around 5 PM I went to the Pioneer Bridge
            over the Eel River N. of Potter Valley to look for the WHITE-THROATED SWIFTS
            reported by Steve Stump on March 20th. They were an easy find. At least 5
            were flying around the bridge the whole period I was there. One was
            fluttering around a drain hole on the underside of the bridge - as were
            Northern Rough-winged Swallows. Last year the swifts apparently nested here
            for the first time, and the prospects look good for this year.

            George Chaniot
            Potter Valley, MEN, CA

            From Route 20 take Potter Valley Road, and follow it until it turns into
            Eastside Road. At Hopper's Corner turn right (N) onto Eel River Road.
            Follow it "over the hill" to the Eel River drainage. Take the right fork at
            the top of the hill and follow it to the bridge.