Hooded Oriole

  • Matthew Matthiessen
    Message 1 of 8 , May 2, 2002
      I'm happy to announce that the HOODED ORIOLES have returned to their
      favorite palm tree at the south end of Pomo Dr. in Ukiah for another
      year. This morning (5/2) they were working on a new nest.

      - Matthew Matthiessen
    • Robert Keiffer
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 27, 2003
        This is a late posting but I wanted Mendo birders to be aware Hooded Orioles in the county. Penny Seamen
        who lives on the south end of Ukiah has for many years had Hooded Orioles visiting her nectar feeders... however the nest tree has never been located in this part of Ukiah. This year April 12th was the arrival date for the first male Hooded Oriole at her feeder.

        Hooded Orioles have in recent years nested in Fan Palms in the Oak Manor part of Ukiah (Pomo Dr.), on Twining Road in Talmage, and on Stewart and Fir Streets in Fort Bragg. I'm sure that we have several other nesting trees scattered throughout the urban areas of Mendocino County. Currently, there are no reports ever from anywhere else in the county.

        Please keep an eye on all FAN PALM trees in your area and report any nesting by Hooded Orioles. Thanks.

      • chaniot@pacific.net
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 19, 2003
          Thu, 19 Jun 2003 -- Mike Effinger in Redwood Valley reports that an adult
          male HOODED ORIOLE and an immature male are still coming regularly to his
          feeders. He thinks that there are some good photo opportunities here. Give
          him a call if you're interested in coming to look for this one (707
          485-1747).

          George Chaniot
        • Paul Hawks
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 14, 2006
            I'm living on the south end of Ukiah now, and while taking a late
            afternoon walk today (Friday), I heard the call of a hooded oriole as
            I passed the Nokomis School on Washington St. I stopped and with the
            repeated calls of the bird soon spotted a brilliant male in an oak
            tree just to the west of the main school buildings. I did not see any
            nesting activity.

            I have not checked to see of the hooded orioles have arrived at the
            familiar palms on Sherry Dr. on the north end of town near where I
            used to live.

            The band-tailed pigeons are still plentiful here on the south end of
            town.

            Paul Hawks
          • chaniot@pacific.net
            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 5, 2006
              Wed, 04 Oct 2006 -- I saw a male HOODED ORIOLE flying over the Rancho del
              Rey seniors park in Ukiah. It was coming from the direction of two palm
              trees on Leslie Street, but I did not specifically see it there. Is this
              the latest record ever?

              George Chaniot
              Potter Valley, CA
            • George Chaniot
              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 2, 2010
                Fri, 2 Apr 2010 -- Dave Bengston reports seeing a male HOODED ORIOLE in his
                Ukiah yard today.
              • dsmithferri
                Message 7 of 8 , Mar 27, 2014
                  Hi All, we have a hooded oriole at our feeder today. We live on Mill Creek Road just east of the Buddhist campus in Talmage.

                  Good birding,

                  David Smith-Ferri