South Shore of Clear Lake

  • George Chaniot
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 12, 2009
      Wed, 11 Mar 2009 -- Today I went to Lake County to look for a couple of
      nemesis birds. I found my way to the slopes of Mount Konocti at the Riviera
      West development. I drove up Riviera West Drive, took a right on Mountain
      Crest Drive, and followed it to the end. Here I had a view of the cliffs
      above and only had to wait about five minutes until several WHITE-THROATED
      SWIFTS appeared among the Violet-green Swallows. I also found a PEREGRINE
      FALCON sitting at the top of the closest cliff of columnar basalt.
      Next I went to Clear Lake State Park and walked to the mouth of Kelsey
      Creek. The trail is now flooded where it goes through the reeds, but I was
      able to make it through with dry feet by stepping on the mats of tules
      instead of the trail. The mud is covered with water now, but I got a little
      further out on the matted vegetation and set up my scope. To my surprise I
      picked up the SWAMP SPARROW almost immediately. It was in the furthest
      clump of reeds as reported months ago. I probably would not have seen it
      were it not making flycatching sallies out over the water. Two Song
      Sparrows were doing the same thing. I probably saw 25 out-and-back flights.
      I checked Adobe Creek Reservoir, Highland Springs Road, and Lyons Creek
      for signs of Tricolored Blackbirds, but there were non yet. I also did not
      find the Yellow-bellied Sapsucker in Lakeside Park today.
      Back in Potter Valley, Mendocino Co. the BURROWING OWL was visible
      again. I've seen it four-for four times since I found it on the 7th. From
      the top of the knoll at the end of Burris Lane point your scope to the SE
      and look for a rocky outcrop on a grassy hillside. The burrow is directly
      in front of the rocks. The owl may be sitting totally in the open or partly
      hidden a depression.

      George Chaniot
      Potter Valley, MEN, CA