A few interesting birds continue

  • Dave Quady
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 11, 2009
      Mendo birders:

      To add to Bob Keiffer's note from earlier today, on Monday March 9 I
      saw or heard the following:

      At the Crofoot Ranch, a single "Aleutian" Cackling Goose, in addition
      to the Greater White-fronted Goose that Bob reported
      On Old River Road, the Lewis's Woodpecker on his (this bright bird
      MUST be a male) favored power pole near mp 7.54
      On the large pond at Mendocino College, two Common Moorhens, one
      Sora, and one Virginia Rail. Plus two Northern Rough-winged
      Swallows, and about three Violet-green Swallows. Three skittish Wood
      Ducks took off when I appeared; it took a closer approach to flush
      (didn't mean to!) the last of 11 Hooded Mergansers present when I
      arrived.

      At least one Black-crowned Night-Heron roosted in its favored redwood
      (look for the whitewash) behind 240 Washo Drive in east Ukiah

      Near mp 17.62 (or is it 17.63??) on Low Gap Road, a Sooty Grouse
      called near dawn

      In the various vineyard ponds, I saw no Common Goldeneyes or Canvasbacks

      And in a brief stop near sunset, I did not see "Al" in Arena Cove.
      Bummer.

      Thanks to everyone who previously reported one or more of these
      interesting birds.

      Dave Quady
      Berkeley, California
      davequady@...