Long-tailed Ducks & Glaucos Gull

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 8, 2009
      Sat, 7 March 2009 -- Three LONG-TAILED DUCKS were seen off the north
      end of Ward Ave, Cleone on Saturday, by Toby Tobkin and Karen Havlena,
      within 15 minutes of each other, but we did not see each other.

      Sun, 8 March 2009 -- This morning was very windy, but having a little time, I
      saw a 1st cycle GLAUCOUS GULL and a COMMON GOLDENEYE at the
      mouth of Ten Mile R.  A possible hybrid GLAUCOUS x GLAUCOUS-WINGED
      GULL was also there.  It looked much like a hybrid seen in San Luis Obispo
      County by Brad Schram at Pt. Piedras Blancas on 5 March.  This bird had a
      smudgy, bi-colored bill, and primaries that were partly white with creamy centers.
      A 1st cycle Glaucous-winged Gull looked a little larger with an all dark bill.

      The beaches from Ten Mile R. south to Glass Beach in Fort Bragg are all within
      MacKerricher SP.

      Karen A. Havlena
      North of Fort Bragg, CA