Winter Period bird report

  • Robert J. Keiffer
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 2, 2009
      2 March 2009 - The winter report period for bird observations has
      come to a close.

      The winter report period is a "normal-length" seasonal period -
      comprised of the months of Dec,Jan, and Feb. It is always an
      interesting period because of the winter resident species that show
      up ...especially along the coast. I will soon be summarizing the
      significant Mendocino County bird
      observations for these months and then submitting them to the
      Northern California sub-regional editors for North American Birds.
      If you wish to submit any previously UNREPORTED sightings, or submit
      personal summaries, then send them directly to rjkeiffer@...
      or mail them to the address near my signature, before March 10th.

      If the sighting was already posted on Mendobirds then I have it
      already, but I gladly accept summaries or specific details from
      observers. If you saw a rare or unusual bird that was discovered by
      someone else, then please note who the original "finder" was (ie:
      Dave Shuford 12/31/08 for the Grace's Warbler).

      Again, a kindly reminder for those posting messages on Mendobirds
      ....if you begin the message with the full date (like 1 December
      2008) and end the message your full name and maybe contact info
      (phone and/or email) ....then it makes it MUCH easier for me to
      conserve on ink, printed space and time when I print them for the
      hard-copy files. (that way I can "select" and "print" without
      printing all of the associated meaningless garbage).

      Thanks. Good birding. Bob Keiffer

      Robert J. Keiffer
      Principal Supt. of Agriculture
      UC Hopland Research & Extension Center