sick House Finches

  • vitreous2002
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 2, 2009
      I never had House or Purple finches at my feeders until a few showed
      up last year. This year I have a large flock visiting on a daily
      basis. Unfortunately, I am seeing signs of sickness and have had
      several birds turn up dead in the yard. None of the other species
      that visit my feeders have been affected, and the finches feed
      exclusively on the black oil sunflower seeds, both on a feeding table
      and at a couple of feeders. First, I have noticed a puffed-up and
      disoriented-seeming finch. They will often not fly away at my
      approach, and shortly thereafter I will find them dead on the ground.
      Is anyone else experiencing this?
      Quince
    • Eddie Chapman
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 2, 2009
        Hallo all,

        Quince, the symptoms that you are describing are spot on for salmonella. Be
        very careful if you handle the birds and wear disposable gloves. It may also
        be an idea to clean your bird feeders to stop the spread of the disease.

        Regards,

        Eddie Chapman, Voss, Norway.

        Blog: http://www.surfbirds.com/blog/Norway/

        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 3, 2009
          Becky Thune contacted me about a sick House Finch recently. It later
          died.