Mendocino Coast nearshore + shore birds

  • Bob Keiffer
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 22, 2009
      22 February 2009 - The off-shore pelagic birding trip for today was cancelled a couple days ago due to rough seas and bad weather forecasts. Unfortunately these forecasts did not hold true ....and the trip would have been very doable with the SE winds laying down the NW swells quite well. A few white caps began to show at about 2:00 PM but were short-lasting as by four is was quite mild again. J.Foxx, M.Curry, K.Havlena,and I did venture out on the Trek II with two other whale watchers between 10 and noon. The water temp was at 50 degrees F. and we only went out about as far as the second buoy and headed south a very short distance. One pod of 4 to 5 Gray Whales were observed spouting fairly near ....but no close views of the whales themselves were observed.

      Gulls followed the boat as we chummed with popcorn the entire trip. Here's what we saw:

      Common Goldeneye 1 (in harbor)
      Bufflehead (in harbor) 4-5
      Red-throated Loon 2
      Red-necked Grebe 1
      Northern Fulmar 1-3
      Brandt's Cormorants 8-12
      Pelagic Cormorants 12-15
      Mew Gull 1
      California Gull 4
      Thayer's Gull 1
      Western Gull 80
      Glaucous-winged Gull 10
      Western x G-winged Gull 1
      Black-legged Kittiwake 40
      Common Murre 10
      Rhinoceros Auklet 20-25
      Sea Lions (Calif?) 15

      Upon return to shore Foxx,Curry, & Keiffer went to MacKerricker S.P. at the end of Ward Avenue where we saw:

      Long-tailed Duck 1m,1f
      Harlequin Duck 5
      Black Scoter 10-12
      Surf Scoter 8
      Red-necked Grebe 2

      Laguna Point Parking Lot & Laguna Pt.

      Thayer's Gull 3+
      Western Gull many
      Glaucous-winged Gull many
      Western x G.w-gull 1
      Whimbrel 2

      Virgin Creek Beach:

      Harlequin Duck 2m
      mixed gulls with 3 Mew Gulls.

      At Todd Point/Pomo parking area on south side of Noyo:

      Glaucous Gull 2 first winter birds ...one quite "whiter" than the other

      Good Birding - Bob Keiffer